Who are we?
The National Association of Scientific Materials Managers (NAOSMM for short and pronounced Nay-O-Sum) is:
A group of approximately 500 individuals involved in purchasing, receiving, warehousing, distribution, and inventory control of chemicals, pharmaceuticals, glassware and plasticware, instruments and special services in research, teaching, and R & D fields.
- We work in academia, industry or research.
- We hold positions such as storeroom managers, laboratory managers, teaching lab coordinators, purchasing or procurement personnel, and business managers.
What do we do?
Our members include representatives from universities, colleges, manufacturers, research laboratories, and pharmaceutical companies. We all have one thing in common: we have unique questions for which we seek workable answers. NAOSMM allows us to exchange ideas, information, contacts, and leads with people who understand our challenges and can offer solutions.
What's in it for me?
NAOSMM's goal is to educate and assist in the professional development of its members. NAOSMM strives to help make your responsibilities and job functions safer, easier, more efficient, and more economical. As a member, you'll be able to take advantage of many ideas available through a network of professionals with similar concerns. Specifically, we offer:
A summer national conference and trade show with workshops that will help you keep abreast of current topics, trends and issues at the forefront of our industry. Recent workshop topics included government regulations, handling of hazardous materials, waste disposal, recycling and inventory control. Personal development programs are also included. Our trade show with approximately 70 vendors, allows members to preview new products and meet with vendor representatives.
- An opportunity to interact and build relationships with other professionals who have similar responsibilities and concerns.
- A quarterly publication, the Newsline, which keeps you informed about what is happening within our association and profession.
- A membership directory which lists each member's name, organization, address, phone, fax, and e-mail address. The directory acts as a handy resource to help you find a fellow member who may have already solved your "problem of the day."
- A listserv
which allows members with Internet access to communicate with almost immediate
How do I join?
Joining NAOSMM is simple. Just fill out the electronic
form and submit it. You will be contacted to arrange payment of the $75.00 annual membership fee.